On behalf of the Commonwealth, Center for Innovative Technology will be hosting our annual SBIR/STTR Workshop at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville on March 23, 2016 – details are below. Graduate students and postdocs, and entrepreneurial minded university researchers may have interest to attend this event. For those short on time, there is a half day morning only “9AM-1PM” option available that will cover both the overview of SBIR and STTR as well as proposal writing tips for NIH SBIR/STTR.
This is the only planned SBIR/STTR workshop in Charlottesville this year -- a great opportunity for those who would be a fit for this non-dilutive R&D funding.
SBIR/STTR Proposal Prep for NIH, NSF and DOD
March 23, Charlottesville, VA
The Federal government's Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs make over $2.6 billion in high-risk, non-dilutive capital available to innovative small companies annually. Join SBIR/STTR expert, Becky Aistrup of BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting and learn SBIR/STTR program basics, including eligibility requirements, the difference between SBIR and STTR, participating agencies and tips for success. Then focus in on essential information for crafting a competitive proposal to meet the mission and standards of the NIH, NSF and DoD programs. We'll cover the distinguishing features and technology areas addressed by each of the agencies, getting registered so you can submit, preparing proposal components for maximum impact, what reviewers expect, and more. This is the only time this year that this event will be given in Charlottesville.
Small fees apply to cover lunch and materials fees. 9AM-4:30PM each session.
- 9:00AM-- Intros, SBIR/STTR program overview & eligibility, SBIR vs. STTR, Agency differences, Doing your homework, SBIR/STTR registrations required
- 10:45AM -- Break
- 11:00AM -- Introduction to NIH SBIR/STTR programs, Topic selection and NIH homework, Review process, Overview of preparing the NIH proposal
- 1:00PM -- LUNCH
- 1:30PM -- Introduction to NSF SBIR/STTR programs, Topic selection and NSF homework, Overview of preparing the NSF proposal
- 2:45PM -- Break
- 3:00PM -- Introduction to DoD SBIR/STTR programs, Topic selection and DoD homework, Overview of preparing the DoD proposal
- 4:15PM -- Brief overview of Commercialization Planning
NOTE: Attendees have options to register for the Full-day session or just the Morning Intro & NIH Session only at a reduced fee.
LOCATION: University of Virginia, 100 Darden Blvd., CLA 280 (classroom), Charlottesville, VA 22901
· Small Tech Firms: $50 for Full Day, or $35 for morning Intro & NIH sessions
· Virginia University: $40 for full day, or $20 for morning Intro & NIH sessions
· All Others: $150 for full day
QUESTIONS: Robert Brooke, 703-689-3080 or Robert.firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Federal Funding Programs
Center for Innovative Technology (CIT)
2214 Rock Hill Rd., #600
Herndon, VA 20170